Altar Server Coordinator
Susan Sullivan // smas.sullivan
Altar Servers are needed and you are invited to join our ministry!
Training for new Altar Servers will be held in the church on two upcoming dates:
- Tuesday April 9 from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
- Saturday April 13 from 10:00 am to 11:30 am
Requirements to be an Altar Server:
- Must be at least 10 years old, must have received first Holy Communion, and must be enrolled in Faith Formation classes
- Attend one training session
- Complete Safe Environment training
- Set up a profile in our on-line scheduler
New servers will be scheduled to serve with experienced servers. Please contact Susan Sullivan if you have questions at 817-614-1586 or email@example.com.
Altar servers assist the Priest in the celebration of the Mass so the liturgy can be conducted with grace and reverence. We assist the celebrant at the chair and at the altar, lighting the candles, carrying the processional cross, carrying the incense, holding the books, and a variety of other tasks during the service. We do this by performing our duties with honor and respect, reflecting the true presence of Christ at the Mass. This ministry helps to develop a sense of participation in parish life and a love for the church’s liturgical life, while growing closer to God in one’s own life. It also offers an opportunity to understand the rewards of service.
Requirements to Serve
- Member of St. Francis of Assisi Parish.
- Must be at least 10 years old, no maximum age limit and encouraged to continue through high school.
- Received first Holy Communion.
- Attended at least one training session.
- Must meet the Safe Environment requirements for their age.
- Must be enrolled in Faith Formation Classes.
- Have commitment and be able to perform this role with reverence.
- Usually a 2 hour training session.
- April and October sessions (watch the bulletin for dates).
- Trainees receive a Procedure Guide that describes the responsibilities for each role, proper attire and posture.
- New servers will be partnered with experienced servers for their first few scheduled Masses.
- Servers must be enrolled in Faith Formation classes.
- Servers will need to meet the Safe Environment requirements for their age.
- Trained servers are assigned to the Mass time of their choice.
- Scheduled to serve every 3-6 weeks.
- 3 to 4 servers for each Mass.
- Schedules for weekend Masses are created every 2 months and emailed to everyone.
- First Communion, Holy Days, Weddings and Funerals are scheduled by request for volunteers via email.
Altar Server Ministry isn’t just for the younger parishioners.
Parents have an important supporting role. They ensure their children dress appropriately and are punctual and prepared. Parents should ensure the servers arrive 20 minutes prior to their scheduled Mass.