Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.
Preparation in English and Spanish for parents and godparents (of those seeking baptism for children under age 7) is offered monthly on the first Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. Please register prior to the class by contacting the parish office. Childcare is provided.
If you are an adult seeking baptism, please contact the parish office to discuss options available via the RCIA process or visit sfatx.org/rcia for more information.
If your child is age 7 or older and requires baptism, please see the handout below for information.
- The Sacrament of Baptism may be celebrated at Saint Francis Catholic Church within a regularly scheduled mass except 10:00 a.m. mass or at a monthly communal celebration. Spanish baptisms are held only at the monthly communal celebration. In general only one family will be scheduled for Baptism during a mass. If celebrated within the context of mass, parents and godparents will meet with the priest/deacon in the chapel 20 minutes prior to the beginning of mass. It is important that you be on time.
- A communal celebration of Baptism (outside of mass) in English will take place at 11:30 a.m. on the 3rd Sunday of each month. This celebration will typically include multiple families.
- A communal celebration of Baptism (outside of mass) in Spanish will take place at 10:00 a.m. on the last Saturday of each month. This celebration will typically include multiple families.
- To schedule a Baptism, contact the Church office 817-481-2685. Please note: We must have a copy of the original birth certificate before a Baptismal Certificate will be issued. (If possible, bring the birth certificate to the class and we will make a copy.)
GUIDELINES FOR SPONSORS/GODPARENTS
There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each. Note: While a couple (male – female) may be admitted as sponsors (godparents, padrinos), if qualified, the regulations do not permit two males or two females. (Canon # 873-874)
To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor, a person must:
- Be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the one who takes their place or, in their absence, by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function. Note: It is the parents’ responsibility to select a sponsor(s).
- Minimum age is 16, although exceptions may be made by the pastor, given just pastoral reason. In general, choose someone over the age of 16.
- Be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on. A “life of faith,” while not defined, includes marriage within the church, a life free of public scandal, etc.
- Not be the father or the mother of the one to be baptized.
Christian Witnesses: A baptized non-Catholic may be permitted to serve as a Christian witness, as long as a valid Catholic sponsor is also chosen. (Canon #874.2)
Non-baptized adults and children over the age of 7 wanting to become members in the Catholic Church are prepared through the process of Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). Please see contact the parish office or refer to the Become Catholic page for more information.