Safe & Sacred Program
Requirements for Adult Volunteers
Volunteers 18 years and older who would like to serve in a ministry in our parish must follow the Fort Worth mandatory procedures prior to volunteering in a ministry. You will NOT be permitted to volunteer unless all the requirements below are met.
To begin this process, you must email our Safe Environment Coordinator, Donna Buccino, at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will reply to your email with detailed instructions for completing the necessary paperwork and coursework. Please include your contact information and the ministry or ministries you wish to serve in at St. Francis in your email.
Requirements for Teen Volunteers (Age 13-17)
Teens ages 13-17 must be “Called to Protect for Youth” trained annually. This program is provided yearly through our Catechesis classes, also known as (CCD, Faith Formation or Religious Education).
Those teens who also wish to volunteer must complete additional paperwork and training. To begin this process, you must email our Safe Environment Coordinator, Donna Buccino, at email@example.com. She will reply to your email with detailed instructions for completing the necessary paperwork and coursework. Please include your contact information and the ministry or ministries you wish to serve in at St. Francis in your email.
Requirements for Youth Volunteers (Age 10-12)
Youth ages 10-12 must also be trained annually in the “Called to Protect for Youth” program provided yearly through our Catechesis classes AND must complete the Educational Program for Pre-Teen Volunteers Training distributed by your Safe Environment Coordinator. This booklet must be reviewed with a parent and turn in the required completed forms.
Why is the Training Required?
Creating a safe environment for children and young people is a diocesan priority. Article 12 of the US Bishops’ document, The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, requires U.S. dioceses to establish “safe environment programs” and gives the necessary elements of these programs. All new volunteers are to be interviewed and screened.
The diocesan safe environment program includes:
- Training for all volunteers regarding the dynamics of abuse and abuse-prevention strategies (required every 3 years)
- Evaluation of the backgrounds of all employees and volunteers including 3 references
- Review and signing of the Code of Conduct and Standards of Behavior
- All programs require the presence of two adults or one adult and two older teen.
This policy extends to:
- All Church-sponsored trainings and events regardless of where the programs or activities are held
- Catholic school events and activities outside of a regular classroom setting
- Religious education classes and programs
- Youth ministry programs and events
- Liturgy of the Word for children
- Rite of Christian Initiation adapted for children
- Babysitting, nursery and child care programs
- Choirs for children and youth
- Altar server training
- Vacation Bible School